Friday, September 19, 2008

flexibility

I don't remember if I've written about this subject before, but some some conversations and an article I read recently made me think more about Rob Bell's analogy of the Christian faith as a trampoline, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. To me it represents the epitome of "flexibility." I think that a lot of Christians are afraid of the term "flexible" because they take it to mean something that it is not, like maybe compromising the faith. But when you really think about it, something that is flexible (like a trampoline) is actually able to endure quite a bit of force and still keep its structural integrity. It is not surprising that those who operate, by contrast, with a "brick wall" metaphor for their faith find the idea of flexibilty to be either threatening (i.e. "if you try to bend it, it will break") or confusing ("What do you mean? A brick wall can't bend!")

No comments: