Monday, September 15, 2008

cosmos and chaos

"my life work is fundamentally creative in nature. And creating has its own rhythms, its own pace. Inspiration comes at strange times when you create. And inspiration comes because of discipline." (115) I realize this thread is a little off-topic from what I have been writing about lately, but I really identify with Bell in this feeling. So often we buy into the popular impression that the creative soul finds inspiration when he is unhindered by structure or discipline. But I believe that God had created us after his image such that our creative tendencies are necessarily tied up in the need for recognizing, affirming, and establishing order. I wish I could remember where I first read the phrase "cosmos and chaos." I think it was while reading something about Leonard Bernstein. But I don't remember if it was he who came up with the phrase. Anyway, it had to do with the idea that we, as artists, have a drive that is founded upon the need to create "cosmos" or order amidst the chaos around us. I realize that Bell is talking about the setting in which creativity is fostered, more so than our reasons for creating. But I think it is all tied up in the same desires for order.

2 comments:

Ange K said...

Hello Stephanie. I've just read through all your posts and will stop in again now and then. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and wonderings. I'm contemplating many of the same things, and feeling just as lonely (if I've interpreted your "about me" section correctly). It'll be good to follow your journey a little. Thanks.

Stephanie Miller said...

Hey Ange! (I assume that's what you go by)
Thanks for your post. It's always nice to find people who identify with me, especially when we seem to be in a minority. You might enjoy reading some of the books on my list, like Velvet Elvis and Blue Like Jazz. That is, if you have time to read. Are you a stay-at-home mom? Would love to hear from you again. ~Steph