Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Forgiving the Church

I recently finished Dan Kimball's They Like Jesus but not the Church, and I was surprised by how much I identified with it. In fact, I was a little concerned that I identified so strongly with the comments made by those outside the church about the ways in which they are critical of it. I was struck by Henri Nouwen's statement "When we say, 'I love Jesus, but I hate the church,' we end up losing not only the Church but Jesus too. The challenge is to forgive the church." (253) I don't think I would use the word "hate" for how I feel about the church, but I definitely feel that my attitude toward the body of Christ lately has been affecting my spiritual life. And when I say this, I don't mean my local church, but rather the general evangelical culture which propagates the stereotypes mentioned by Kimball. I know this is a personal issue that I need to work through and seek forgiveness and understanding. I just wonder if anyone else identifies with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is something I have been struggling a lot with in past months, it's nice to know that other people are bothered by the same things.


Thanks for the recommendation this book is will be the next book I read. That's not for school of course.